DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ayman Suleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:03:38 -0400
Hi Andrew,

In our drainage paper mentioned below, an equation was developed to
estimate SWCON from DUL (drained upper limit soil water content). This
equation was built on the basis of Darcy's law and Brooks and Corey
equation. SWCON for many soils from more than 10 different countries agreed
very well with that equation. The C in the drainage equation mentioned
below (SWTi  = SWCi-1 - F*C (SWCi-1 - DUL)) is SWCON itself, however, F is
a new coefficient added to the equation to accounts for the incoming flow
(water moving from one layer to another). As you know, we would expect that
the change of soil water of a layer due drainage to be less if this soil
layer is receiving some water from an upper soil layer. All of this is
mentioned and discussed in our drainage paper.

Regarding the soil layer thickness: In CERES water balance, the soil layer
thinness does not matter because the whole soil profile has a single value
of SWCON and the CERES drainage equation (SWTi  = SWCi-1 - SWCON (SWCi-1 -
DUL)) does not account for the incoming soil water flow (does not have F,
the other coefficient). IF [SWTi  = SWCi-1 - F*C (SWCi-1 - DUL)] is used
(as in SALUS water balance),  the soil layer thickness does matter. I would
say that, in general, the thinner the layers and the more uniform (layers
of equal thickness) is the more accurate. The soil layer thickness in SALUS
grows linearly (Layer thickness = 2* layer number -1 cm). The errors that
results from using these layer thicknesses is minimal.

I will send you copies of the papers mentioned below.

Ayman

PS: Please note that one term was missing in the evaporation and drainage
equations. They should be as follows:

Evaporation equation is:  SWTi  = SWCi-1 - C (SWCi-1 - SWad)

Drainage equation is: SWTi  = SWCi-1 - F*C (SWCi-1 - DUL)