DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Richard Ogoshi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 18:34:49 -1000
Hello Reinder,
   The 0.5 factor is in the CERES-Maize (1986) book, so it looks like Jones
and Kiniry are the ones who came up with it.
   Whether 0.5 is a fudge factor, I cannot say. It would depend on how they
derived the value.
   I think one of the primary roles of models is to identify knowledge
gaps. Once a gap is identified, a modeler may put in a value to make a
model functional instead of waiting for the knowledge to be developed. The
modeler leaves it up to the next person to do the research and improve the
code.
   I think the questions you raise are worthy of more research.
Sincerely,
Richard

At 10:49 AM 05/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Richard,
>
>Thanks for your reply. Your explanation makes sense to me.
>However it raises another question: why was a factor of 0.5 used , and not
for example 0.4, 0.6 or 0.7? Who calibrated the model and came up with the
factor 0.5? Some people would call this a fudge factor. Any comments?