DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Agriculture Environment <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Agriculture Environment <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:05:23 +0530
Dear all:

I would also like share my views on the genetic coefficients used
CERES-Wheat and CERES-Maize. Although the  genetic coefficient of a cultivar
should not be site specific, but it is truely not like that. Between the
maize and wheat I found this more complicated on wheat than on maize.
We try to use the same cultivars on spring wheat and maize at 100m to 2500m
above sea elevation in Nepal. With respect to phenological genetic
coefficients, I did not see much problem with maize and may not need
recalibration. The same values are working more closely with respect to
anthesis and physiological maturity. However, in wheat I needed to
recalibrate the P genetic coeficients. The same value is not working. It
appears that maize coefficients are simpler to explain and understand in
contrast to wheat. Simple clues to estimate and run in close to the actual
are needed. In this regard, modellers should try to clearify.

Kishore Sherchan