DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jorge Batlle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:17:07 +0200
Soil bulk density is measured in undisturbed soil samples (ussually token by
insertion of a cilinder of knwon volume, and dividing the dry weight of this
soil content by the volume of the cylinder). This measurement can be related to
total volume porosity if the real density of soil particles is measured also by
picnometer method.
If you separed coarse fragments >2 mm and fine fraction < 2 mmm, it means that
you already disturbed your sample.
I hope this help.
Jorge Batlle

> The bulk density of a soil, is the ratio between the mass and volume of a
fraction of soil, the most important is that the volume fraction have included
soil air. This is very important because in the porous part is where there is
water movement and more movement of the roots becoming root penetration, among
other things, like the movement of nutrients or nutrient uptake by the roots.

coefficient ( SBDM ) in the soil file, is the soil density including coarse
elements or without them? I'm not sure which density I should write.