DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"KUMUDINI, SARATHA (AG/2074)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 16:41:43 +0000
Dear Guillaume,

I am relatively new to CERES MAIZE code, and the people on this email will have more detailed knowledge of CERES MAIZE. One thing I did notice was that P9 is calculated from germination, and not from planting (!P9         Growing degree days from germination to emergence, C). Based on your expected value of GDDE of 45, I assume you are calculating P9.  Therefore, the differences between observed emergence and simulated may occur if you assume that the field staff are planting into moisture, and this was NOT the case (i.e. delay in germination would cause the GDDs from planting to emergence to be larger than if seeds were planted into moisture, and the seeds germinated immediately).  I think that maybe one place you could check for this difference.  I am not sure how GDDE was initially calculated by the developers of CERES MAIZE, but the final value for P9 is more or less in agreement with at least one other model.

Hope this helps,
Saratha