From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:40:36 -0600
Subject: Re: Can world maps be centered on varying coordinates
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:37:39 +0000
From: Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

It is correct. When in doubt just look at the map:
http://1.usa.gov/159rFjJ (full URL below for those security conscious
folks out there). The edges of the map are actually at 90 degrees west.
With modern cartographic methods it is easier than ever to change the
origin of a projection to emphasize the point of the map. If the map is
about the oceans, splitting North America isn't any stranger that
splitting the Pacific if your map is about the continents.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl?data=/home/www/data/gmd/gmd9/g9096/g9096a/ct003193.jp2&style=gmd&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g9096a+ct003193))&title=Chart%20of%20limits%20of%20seas%20and%20oceans.

--
Dr. Mark Jackson
Brigham Young University

On Feb 22, 2013, at 10:14 AM, "Angie Cope, American Geographical Society
Library, UW