From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:30:52 -0600
Subject: Re: Can world maps be centered on varying coordinates
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:30:41 +0000
From: Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I should note that I am not a cataloger and have very little to do with
that so I didn't read into it that deep. I was just pointing out that
the map did indeed go from -90° to -90° (+270°). I can see Paige's point
about using +180° to -180° to indicate that it is a global coverage, but
there needs to be someplace that the actual extents of the map are noted
prominently if that is the case. If for instance I want an old map of
the seas to digitize and drop into the background of a map I'm creating
in a GIS then this map isn't going to work very well.  I'd have to
change my projection to match this map or cut it in pieces so it will
align with my other data that is in a more traditional 0°,0° origin and
extending to 180° east and west.

--
Dr. Mark Jackson
Brigham Young University

On Feb 22, 2013, at 12:56 PM, "Angie Cope, American Geographical Society
Library,              UW
  Milwaukee" <[log in to unmask]>