DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Stuart Rymph <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:14:23 -0600
Benjamin,

First the required disclaimer - Be careful, read the definitions of all
parameters and know what units of measure they are in before making any
changes.  Make changes only in the .CUL and  .ECO files.  Change the CUL
parameters before even considering the ECO parameters unless you know
you actually have a different ecotype than any that are already defined
(there are 3 already defined for Maize).  Of the 3 ecotypes already
defined, the only differences are the radiation use efficiencies.  I
don't think you will need to change anything in the ecotype file - just
use the ecotype "IB0001" and concentrate on the cultivar parameters.
Look over the other entries in the CUL file and make sure your entries
are consistent with them (not too extreme).

If you know anything about the lineage of the cultivar, you could use
that information to select an existing cultivar that might have the same
growth characteristics.  Failing that, look through the list of
cultivars and their traits in the CUL file and try selecting an existing
cultivar that has similar growth habits.  If one of the existing
cultivars won't work for you, at least you have established good base
from which to start making your modifications.

To add a new cultivar, open the cultivar file
C:\DSSAT4\Genotype\MZCER040.CUL in a text editor such as Windows notepad
(a program that lets you create and save a plain text document with no
formatting).  It might be a good idea to save a copy of the original
file (you will have to give the copy a different name or save it in a
different directory).  Go to the bottom of the file and create a new
line with a new cultivar number and your new parameters.  The easiest
way to keep things in line is to copy the entry from another cultivar
and paste it at the end of the file and then edit the values to make
them what you want.  Follow the formatting of the lines above - all
numbers must end in the correct column or the DSSAT won't read it
properly.   For a first effort, I would use "IB0001" for the ECO#.  If
you must change the ecotype parameters, you will need to create a new
number for your ecotype.  If adding a new ecotype, you also need to
create a new line in the file C:\DSSAT4\Genotype\MZCER040.ECO for your
maize ecotype.  Again, you can copy the entry for another ecotype  and
modify just the parameters that you want to change - be sure to enter
the same ecotype number that you entered in the CUL file (ECO#).

Save the files - if you made a copy, make sure you save the modified
copy under the original name.  Open your experiment file using a XBuild
(click on the icon labeled "Crop Management Data" in the left side
toolbar to open X-build).  After opening your experiment file in XBuild,
click on "Management" in the menu bar at the top of the screen and pick
"Cultivar" from the drop-down menu.  Change the cultivar  - when you
click in the cultivar field, a list of cultivars will pop-up, scroll
down to find yours.  Select the cultivar that you created and click on
"OK" at the bottom of the screen.  Save the file, exit XBuild and you
are ready to run your simulations.

Good Luck,

Stu

--
The Ag Guy, LLC
Stuart Rymph, Ph.D., CCA - Wisconsin and Northeast Regions