DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
James Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:31:01 -0500
Dear Ken,

How are you doing?

I will be presenting my review report on crop models for West Africa
late in April.  Are your papers at a stage where I could see and cite
the manuscripts?  I would greatly appreciate seeing copies soon, if they
are available.

Jim Jones is here this week for a technical advisory committee meeting.
  It looks like I may have opportunity to increase my cooperation with
the Florida Consortium and visit Florida soon to learn more about farmer
response to climate prediction information.

ken boote wrote:

> Jim:
>
> We have experiences with modeling peanut growth and yield in Tamale, Ghana
> and Ina, Benin (both in the more northern parts of the country).  In both
> situations, leaf diseases and associated defoliation was a more serious
> yield-decreasing factor than was water deficit or other weather aspects
> (1997, 1998, and 1999).  We have two collaborators there who have used the
> models.
>
> We have papers in progress and possibly could send drafts to you.
>
> Ken Boote
>
> At 04:00 AM 12/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> I am preparing a short review of crop model applications in the Sudan
>> and Sahelian zones of West Africa for a project in Mali.  The review
>> should include both plot-scale applications of process-level models, and
>> regional-scale yield forecasting applications of possibly simpler
>> models.  If you have some experience or leads to relevant literature, I
>> would be grateful.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Dr. James W. Hansen
>> Associate Research Scientist - Agricultural Systems
>> International Research Institute for Climate Prediction
>> P.O. Box 1000
>> Palisades, NY 10964-8000
>> USA
>>
>> 845-680-4410 (voice)
>> 845-680-4864 (fax)
>>
>> Please note that the IRI area code 914 is changing to 845. If you
>> experience difficulty with 845, 914 will work through 31 December 2000.

Regards,