Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:24:29 -0500
Subject:        New Historic Census Reference Tools
Date:   Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:20:32 -0400
From:   York, Grace <[log in to unmask]>

         Can I trace housing values for Chicago over the past 100 years?
Can I get Tuscaloosa block data for 1940?  What are the options for the
1980 Equal Employment Opportunity File? Help - my 1960 Detroit census
tract map is missing!

        The answers to all of those Census questions have gotten much
easier thanks to Ray Walling, the University of Michigan's
Documents/Numeric Data intern this summer.  Ray has created a number of
Census databases we've posted to the U-M web site.

      The Census Question Data Base
(http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/hiscen/cqdb.xls) provides the exact
wording of Census questions since 1790, arranged by year, with a
comparison to the question asked in 2000.  Real estate values were
asked, 1850-1870, and started up again in 1930.  He will be finessing
the subject tags over the next few months.

        Tuscaloosa block data was first published in 1960 according to
Ray's index of Block Statistics Reports, 1940-1980
(http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/hiscen/bloc4080.xls)  We're also using
Minnesota's NHGIS List of Tract Availability for 1910-1980
(http://www.nhgis.org/nhgis-files/tract%20availability.pdf).

        Missing a Census report?  Ray's inventory of the University of
Michigan collection specifies individual reports with print, microfiche
or microfilm, CD, and web availability, including ICPSR files.  ICPSR
has the EEO reports for 1980, and the Documents Center owns a microfiche
for Michigan purchased from the Census Bureau.  We used the Social
Explorer (http://socialexplorer.com/pub/maps/map3.aspx?&g=0) for the map
but could have used the microfilm version as well.  As of today, the
inventory is complete, 1920-1980. 1990-2000 will be available by the end
of the month with 1790-1910 due by December.

      It's hard to remember all of these URLs but everything, including
the individual inventories, is linked at: Historic Census Publications
(http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/hiscenpub.html)

      Ray's done a spectacular job on the project so we're delighted he
will be staying with us until graduation in April.

Grace York, Coordinator,
Documents Center &
Political Science Librarian
University of Michigan Library