DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Corbeels Marc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Corbeels Marc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:49:06 +0100
Dear colleagues,

CIRAD is seeking a research agronomist in modelling for a post-doc position
(24 months) with an EU-funded project

CA2Africa -Conservation Agriculture in Africa- www.CA2Africa.eu
<http://www.ca2africa.eu/> .

Please, can you circulate the attached vacancy announcement among potential
candidates.

Below is the job description:

With best wishes,

Marc Corbeels

CIRAD, France

Vacancy at the ‘Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche

Agronomique pour le Développement’ (CIRAD)

Research agronomist in modeling – post-doc position (24 months)

CIRAD is a French research centre working with developing countries to
tackle

international agricultural research and development issues (www.cirad.fr).
Are you

interested in agricultural research in Africa and do you want to contribute
to research

on sustainable agricultural production systems? We invite you to join our
research

unit ’Annual cropping systems’ at CIRAD, in one of the leading teams in the
field of

agricultural systems research in Africa.

We are seeking a Research Agronomist in modeling for our EU-funded project

CA2Africa -Conservation Agriculture in Africa- www.CA2Africa.eu. The project
seeks

to better understand the reasons for the limited adoption of Conservation
Agriculture

(CA) in Africa. We believe that a better understanding to what extent and
under which

conditions CA improves the livelihoods of smallholders is a pre-requisite to
know

where and how to promote large-scale CA adoption. The goal of the project
is,

therefore, to examine the agro-ecological, socio-economic and institutional
conditions

that determine success or failure of CA. The successful candidate will work
closely

with the scientific teams executing the four work packages of the project,
which range

from testing existing bio-physical and economic models, analyzing CA
case-studies

and disseminating the results of the project.

Job Description:

The main activities for which the post-doc will be trained are the
following:

- Analyzing and assessing the impact and adoption of Conservation
Agriculture in

Africa using biophysical and socio-economic models

- Comparing the analysis of a number of case studies through an innovation
platform

regrouping the major players in research and development of Conservation

Agriculture

- Formulating lessons learned and proposals for research, development and
policy on

Conservation Agriculture.

Profile/qualifications:

- PhD in agronomy or equivalent

-Strong background in interdisciplinary research, especially linking
agricultural and

social sciences within innovation systems

- Field experience with agricultural practices will be needed

- Very good knowledge in computer and mathematical modeling, especially in
the use

of agronomic and socio-economic models

- A good practice of relational databases

- Excellent communication skills in English and French are essential

- Ability to work in a team and in an international context

- Willingness to travel to Africa

- Experience with working overseas is appreciated

Location:

Montpellier (with overseas travels)

Type of contract:

CDD –Post-doc – two years

Start date:

Immediate

Contact:

Please send your letter of application outlining motivation, date of
availability and

competencies and experiences for the position accompanied by a detailed

CV/Resume (including contact information, nationality, family status, date
of birth)

and the names and addresses (including phone/e-mail) of three referees no
later

than January 15, 2011 to:

Marc Corbeels

CIRAD