DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Sommer, Rolf (CIAT-Kenya)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 05:23:48 +0000
Hi Joy (?),

IMHO model evaluation is always necessary, unless you apply the model within very narrow boundaries. For example, you have wheat cultivar x in location y on one field, and would like to run it on a neighbored field with same soil properties. Then I would assume that now further calibration or evaluation is required.

But I'd say if you change soils from, say, loam to clay, you would need to have some data for calibration and evaluation.

My experience tells me that especially clayey soils are difficult to simulate, as there might be quite some uncertainty e.g. in regard to field capacity, permanent wilting point and infiltration characteristics.
Not sure though how CERES-Rice simulates inundated soils, and water requirements. I would assume that you have to set saturated hydraulic conductivity at the bottom of your profile, and that this most likely drives infiltration and water redistribution, saturation and thus overall water requirements. But, as I said, I am not sure.

Regards,
Rolf