DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Narasinha Shurpali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:22:05 -0400
To all DSSAT Users

As you are all aware, the data requirements of DSSAT models are quite stringent. Most experiments (specifically, long-term crop rotation type of experiments conducted in India) contain general information on soil physical and chemical properties, very few easy-to-measure plant growth parameters and final grain yield. This being the case, data requirements for running DSSAT models are not properly met. With such data sets, assessing potential yield levels of various crops and cropping sequences seems to be what potentially can be achieved.
In view of the above, I would like to seek advice from this learned group on following points;

Is there any way to generate/simulate the minimum dataset from such scanty data so that something more practical than mere assessment of potential productivity levels can be achieved?

When sufficient data on crop growth and phenology are not available, how should one use this potential tool to generate practical and valuable information that would account for the effect of region specific varieties?

The models require calibration/validation to be applicable at a given location. This step requires layout of detailed field experiments. This may not a feasible option at many research centers in various parts of the world. In the absence of detailed field experiments, what alternatives exist so that reliable/reasonable conclusions can be drawn from model simulations?

I have a feeling that I am not the only one who is being confronted with such problems in utilizing the full potential of this important tool. In anticipation of a practical solution to the problem, I would like to initiate a discussion on this issue. These discussions would be very valuable to quite a lot of researchers (novices like me) from different parts of the world. Thanks a lot for your time.

Sincerely

NJ Shurpali
Sr. Scientist (Agrometeorology)
Project Directorate for Cropping Systems Research (PDCSR)
Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
Modipuram, Meerut - 250 110
State: Uttar Pradesh, India.