DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:16:01 -0400
Derek and others:

CROPGRO, CERES and all other models that are part of DSSAT suite use a
fixed depth increment for each soil layer.  This is defined internally as 5
cm for the first layer, 10 cm for the second layer, 15 cm for the third,
fourth and fifth layers, and 30 cm for the remaining layers.  The main
reason behind this approach was to a create stable system for the soil
water balance, including both soil evaporation from the soil surface, water
movement between the various layers, and drainage from the bottom
layer.  Because we use a daily time step to calculate the soil water
balance, this was critical.  Internally in the model we recalculate the
water holding and other soil characteristics, based on the relative
contribution of each original soil layer as defined by the user. The soil
inputs should be measured for each horizon or partial horizon that has
uniform characteristics.and are independent of the model.

Several model users, including some within our own model development team,
have complained about our "fixed layer" approach.  We are planning to add
flexibility in the next version so that the user will be able to select
which approach to use.

The graphics program has an option to recalculate the model outputs based
on your measured depths for soil water content and soil nitrogen.  In
volume 4, chapter 1, a detailed description is presented on how to define
your measured data in fileT.

Thank you,

GH