DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Wei, Jun" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:10:27 -0600
Thanks for forwarding this Gerrit,

I cannot agree more on Abraham Singels' comment and I have the exact experience with breeders and geneticist in a private sector. We are all from different disciplines such as soil, crop physiology, genetics, agronomy, engineering, climate and meteorology, just name a few, but one common and unique character among us is we all believe we need to use system approach to integrate all kinds of knowledge into models to solve complex issues in crop systems.

The crop models have been developed for several decades and been successful in various applications. However, one week area in crop models is crop genetics exactly as Ken mentioned in his last email ("That is the part of modeling that we are not particularly good at, or finished with, at the present state of crop modeling." and "That means more genetic coefficients than we currently use in the models."). I also totally agree what Ken said "...it is easy to say all this, but it will be difficult to obtain such more detailed coefficients, as we are short on data and on real understanding of some of those issues." I have the same feeling too sometimes. But here what I want to say is let us face it and make effort: Let us build up a communication channel with crop genetics and breeders, learn from them, bring them in crop modeling community, understand their point of view while also let them understand where we come from. Through this, I hope we may close the gap sooner.

Jun