DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Brian Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:57:01 -0500
Hello Everybody --

I've been working with an Ag-Economist on some Maize-Soybean rotations under
DSSAT 3.0.  We are getting more N leaching than we were told was "normal"
for this region and looking at the NITROGEN.OUT file we find N fixation for
different years of soybean of between 150-350 Kg N/ha (and in one case 518
Kg N/ha) with the average an average of around 225 Kg N/ha.  I looked in a
basic crop production book and it seems to indicate that 200 Kg N/ha is the
maximum one would expect with Soybeans.  So guess we are wondering:  are the
predictions we are getting too large?  If so have other people noticed this
problem?  Is there a way to get CROPGRO to predict lower values?

Thanks for your help.

Brian Baer                                                 [log in to unmask]
Program Analyst                       |              Acting Center Coordinator
Dept. of Crop & Soil Science          |                      The Listening Ear
A574 Plant and Soil Science Building  |             Crisis Intervention Center
Michigan State University             |                      423 Albert Street
East Lansing, Michigan  48824-1325    |          East Lansing, Michigan  48823
(517) 353-8537                        |                         (517) 337-1717