DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Carolina Hache <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:20:58 +0900
Dear Listers,

I am using the equation for calculating Seed wt. dry (g/m2) in "Final
Harvest Procedure for Maize" from DSSAT manual. The equation is :

Seeds wt dry (g/m2) = ear wt. undried x (seed subsample wt. dry/ear
subsample wt. undried)/Harvest area
But when I apply the values (as an example) :
Ear wt. (undried) :  776.1 g
Seed subsample wt. (dry) : 17.88 g (this is the data from the 100 seed
wt.dry)
Ear subsample wt (undried): 1299.5 g
Harvest area : 1 m2

The result is 10.68 g of seed/m2.

I wonder if "seed subsample wt (dry)" is not the weight of the 100 seeds we
dried in oven, but a ratio of the 100 seeds wt. dry/100 seeds wt. undried,
multiplied by the weight of all the seeds we removed from the cobs (from the
10 representatives ears). Then the equation would be as follows:

Seed wt.dry= [ear wt.undried x {removed seeds wt.undried x (100 seed
wt.dry/100seed wt.undried)}/ear subsample wt.undried]/Harvest area
Then,
removed seeds wt. (undried) : would be all the seeds removed from the cobs;
915.2 g
100 seed wt. (undried) : 37.77 g

The results would be 258.82 g of seed/m2.

I hope my way of explanation is understandable. I would appreciate indeed
your help in this matter. Looking forward to hear from you,

Carolina Hache
Graduate student
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
Agricultural and Environmental Engineering Department