DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jeff White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:02:39 -0700
Ken Boote asked whether soil temperature would be included in our rolling
review/revision of modeling tillage.  This is precisely the kind of input
we seek.  Ken presented the argument that low soil temperature is a major
issue in temperate no-till systems.

If anybody is working on modeling soil temperature under these conditions,
I would urge them to present their work at the ASA meeting but also let me
or Rolf Sommer know so we can have the paper placed in the A-2 tillage
session.  If you can't go to the ASA meeting, please let us know what you
are doing just the same.  Rolf and I will assemble a mailing list and
start posting material.

Based on Ken's input, I am expanding the list of _possible_ topics:
- Agronomists' perspective of modeling needs for conservation agriculture:
high input systems
- Agronomists' perspective of modeling needs for conservation agriculture:
low input systems
- Modeling soil water balances when mulch layers are present
- Modeling residue incorporation and decomposition
- Modeling soil temperature when mulch layers are present
- Modeling soil biological activity
- Modeling tillage effects on soil physical properties
- Modeling carbon sequestration
- Documenting tillage and residue management practices for model inputs
and validation

Keep those comments coming!

Best regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey W. White, Plant Physiologist
Environmental and Plant Dynamics Research
U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory, USDA-ARS
4331 E Broadway Rd
Phoenix, AZ  85040-8834

  phone  602-437-1702  ext. 268;  fax  602-437-5291
  email [log in to unmask]