DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:01:23 -0800
********** Post-doctoral Research Associate Position in Cropping Systems
Modeling **************

I am looking for a post-doctoral research associate to join my research
group at Washington State University (WSU), Pullman, Washington State,
USA. This is to start immediately if a good candidate is available or
whenever a suitable candidate is found. Salary is highly competitive and
commensurable with qualifications, and the position is available for a
minimum of two years. Experience with application of a crop simulation
model(s) in a research project or doctoral dissertation is required, and
familiarity with computer systems and tools, GIS software, R statistics,
and a programming language are desirable.  On-the-job training will be
provided as needed, but ability to work independently within a team is
expected.

We are updating capabilities and applying CropSyst, a cropping systems
simulation model, to a climate change assessment project (impact and
mitigation) in the US Pacific Northwest. We have developed a Unix-based
grid-based platform for CropSyst using STATGO soil data and 4x4 km
weather downscaling using 16 GCMs that seem reliable for the US Pacific
Northwest. With this platform we can perform regional simulations using
high-performance desktop computers and the High-Performance Computer
Center at WSU.  In this project, we will add at least the DSSAT and EPIC
models to this platform.  Dr. Gerrit Hoogenboom, who also is a faculty
member at WSU, will provide expertise for the use of the DSSAT model in
the project.

This project is closely associated with activities in the Agricultural
Model Inter-comparison and Improvement Project (AgMIP) and the European
MODEXTREME project that is just starting, offering the research
associate the opportunity to connect to a global community of modelers.
In addition, several other projects are being conducted in our
agricultural systems computer simulation group thus providing a rich
opportunity for advancement.

Individuals interested in this position should send an e-mail indicating
interest and qualifications for this position and a CV to Dr. Claudio
Stöckle at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Claudio Stöckle

Professor and Chair

Department of Biological Systems Engineering

Washington State University

Pullman, WA 99164-6120

e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Phone: 509-335-1578