DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ken Boote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:38:53 -0400
Dear Hiroshi Hasegawa:

I believe Dr. Bill Batchelor or one of his students has been evaluating the
soil temperature submodel presently used in CERES models.  His email is

Their conclusion is that there are better algorithms for predicting soil
temperature and they tested some alternatives.  One of the problems is that
the  program requires TAVE and TAMP entered in the weather file.  These
entries are sometimes not available or are just plain wrong, also depending
on correct computation by the WEATHERMAN program.

We have had some bad experiences with this in Iowa, Spain, and Egypt,
because people were just ignoring this requirement or quality of TAVE and
TAMP in the weather files.  These were aside from whether the method is
good.  So beware.

Ken Boote