DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robin Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:09:21 -0000
Dear Dr Alagarswamy

Thanks very much for your email.

I had thought at first that the problem was starting in December under UK
conditions (i.e. about 80 DAS), as there were differences emerging between
the wet and dry years at that stage that were perpetuated until the end of
the season. However, I found that this was due to differences in temperature
between years slowing leaf area development which explained a small part
(~10%) of the large discrepancy between the model predictions and reality in
the dry year, but not all. I am now sure that most of this discrepancy (i.e.
the remaining 90%) is due to some problem with the water balance towards the
end of the season, although I haven't had time to find out exactly why. As
you suggest, I suspect it is the water stress factor.

Robin.

=========
Dr Robin Matthews
Institute of Water and Environment
Cranfield University, Silsoe, Bedfordshire MK45 4DT, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)1525 863008; Fax: +44 (0)1525 863384
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.silsoe.cranfield.ac.uk/iwe/people/RobinMatthews.htm
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rbmatthews/
-----
This communication is sent in confidence to the named recipient only.
If you are not the named recipient, any use, disclosure, or copying of
this communication is unauthorised.  Any such unauthorised use will be
subject to legal action.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately.