DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Derek McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:32:10 -0600
Dear DSSAT Users,
         Since I will not be attending the meeting I will outline how DSSAT
will be used in my project.  I am a graduate student at Montana State
University in the land resources and environmental science department.  My
thesis will involve incorporating remote sensing data (Landsat 7 etm) into
CERES-Wheat to see if it improves estimates of soil water content and grain
yield.  I will use either the re-paramaterization or re-calibration method
described in:
         Maas, S.J. 1988.  Using Satellite Data to Improve Model Estimates
of Crop Yield Agronomy Journal 80: 655-662.
I have two seasons of neutron probe water measurements in four fields
located in Northern Central Montana.  In addition, we have grain yield data
for the fields.  This data will be used in calibration and validation of
the model.
           I will also be linking the model to ArcView 3.2 and an Access
database.  ArcView will be used to create unique pixels (experiments) for
which ArcVierw will update an Access database.  Modules will be developed,
in Microsoft Access, that output the unique pixel values to the DSSAT input
files.  CERES-Wheat will then be run for each group of unique pixels
(experiments).  I will modify or use existing scripts in AEGIS/WIN and also
create new ones to acheive this objective.  This will mimic much of the
existing spatial analysis capabilities, but will also overcome some of the
drawbacks such as only 999 spatial files can be run.  This is the outline
of my project so far, which is of course, subject to change.

Cheers,

Derek McNamara

Derek McNamara
Graduate Research Assistant
Mountain Research Center, Montana State University
P.O. Box 173490, 106 AJM Johnson Hall
Bozeman, MT 59717-3490, USA
406-994-5073