DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
ken boote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 16:31:28 -0400
Camilo,

I don't know of any convenient non-destructive method to determine
physiological maturity for maize.  The only method I know, is to physically
sample a few of the kernels (cut them out with a knife).  In your case, I
would certainly not start sampling too early, i.e., I would wait to begin
looking, only after silks are dry and the ear covering material begins to
lose green color or dry.  Once you have the kernels removed, you can see
black layer in the pedicel.  Also, the starch line or "milk line" moves
from top of kernel toward pedicel region, as another indicator that
maturity is progressing toward black layer, but is not there yet.

Ken Boote