DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Soo-Hyung Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:25:21 -0500
Michael,

See the following links for recent evidence on CO2 fertilization effects on
corn.

http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/content/abstract/140/2/779
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2486.2006.01110.x

These papers agree with the idea that the high CO2 effect on photosynthesis,
growth, development, and therefore on yield would be minimal in C4 corn in the
absence of water stress and suggest that most significant changes occur in
reduction of water use derived from stomatal responses to high CO2. Hope this
helps.

Soo

Soo-Hyung Kim

USDA-ARS, Plant Sciences Institute
Crop Systems and Global Change Laboratory
Bldg. 001 Room 342, BARC-West
10300 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350, USA

Tel: (301) 504-5343