DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Roger E. Rivero" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:39:02 -0500
Dear Sridhar:

I'll be very brief and possible mistaken. I usually do analysis without changing CO2 concentration and using CO2 concentration changes predicted by some emission scenario. That should encompass the extremes, if we don't take into account nonlinear interactions effects between CO2 and O3 concentrations in plant behaviour and other minor nuissances. Both extremes should give you a measure of uncertainty. Differences between both kind of simulations should be little in C4 species but could be large in C3 ones. There will be differences also with different management procedures (irrigated or rainfed crops, sowing dates, use of fertilisers and such).

In the end, the magnitude of the positive expected influence of CO2 fertilization effect can't be analysed without analysing the expected magnitude of climate change itself. As far as I know the CO2 fertilisation effect is physiologically limited but the accompanying climate change can be rather large depending of the global climate model which you used to predict your climate change scenario.

Sincerely yours,

Roger E. Rivero Vega