DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Porter, Cheryl H" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:25:07 +0000
Manoj and Natasha;

I discussed your inquiry with Kofikuma Dzotsi and Jim Jones. Kofikuma adapted the SALUS generic crop model for integration in DSSAT-CSM, which allows us to add a new crop model with relatively few genetic parameters if data are sufficient to parameterize the new model. In principle, it should be possible to adapt the Salus-simple model for other crops. But there will be challenges based on the crop itself (determinant vs. indeterminate), management (i.e., partial harvesting of leaves or other plant parts), implementation of the code and parameters for a new crop, and estimating parameters based on the data. This would require some proficiency with crop modeling, programming, knowledge of the DSSAT-CSM structure, and parameter estimation methods.

The SALUS-Simple model would be a good candidate for the addition of crops which can be modeled with an empirical LAI and RUE approach at the canopy level. For detailed phenology, leaf growth, etc. then SALUS-Simple would not be the right route and adaptation of the CROPGRO template in DSSAT-CSM would be a better approach. However, SALUS in its current form as described in Kofikuma Dzotsi's paper (dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.03.017) could be greatly simplified in terms of number of parameters (for the model to be really simple). One potential challenge involves dealing with aromatic crops (like basil), which are harvested several times during their growing cycle, but since SALUS-Simple "sees" the total growing cycle as a thermal time from planting to maturity, model adaptations would be required.

I hope this helps you to decide whether you have the expertise required to add a new crop model to DSSAT and the data required to parameterize the model. We can discuss this more offline if you want to pursue it.

Regards,
Cheryl