DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Jones, James W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:16:59 +0000
Nitin,

The DSSAT Century model option for simulating soil carbon can be used, but you have to specify stable carbon in order for it to provide realistic results. Papers by Porter et al. and by Basso et al. describe the Century model option and how to initialize the carbon pools, which depend on management history.

DSSAT computes soil organic carbon in all soil layers. In the Century options, it also writes out the total C in the top 20 cm as well as the total C in the entire profile. Stable C is the carbon in organic matter that decomposes very very slowly. I think that you need to read the papers by Porter et al. and by Basso et al. I also recommend that you take one of the DSSAT courses. Setting the initial soil carbon in organic matter and specifying the pools is not very straight forward, and these pools can have a major influence on the dynamics of soil carbon.

Jim