DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ken Boote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:16:23 -0400
Theo:

Time to harvest after physiological maturity of maize is highly variable.
At physiological maturity (black layer), the grain is quite wet (35%
moisture).  Producers wait for the maize to dry partially in the field.
That may take 10-15 days under good conditions, longer under poor drying
conditions.  In addition, many of these producers are slow on getting their
crop out (too many acres and too many other crops and enterprises taking
attention).  As a result they may take another 1 to 8 weeks before harvesting.

In other words, there is not a single good answer.  Why does it matter to
your simulations?  The yield is made by physiological maturity.  If you
need the time for scheduling planting of another crop (as in adaptation?),
then you need to talk to agr. engineers and economists relative to
harvesting rate and time to cycle to the next crop.  And that would be for
the good farmers.

Good luck.  Hope someone else gives advice that is more local.

Ken Boote