DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:35:34 -0700
Dear Dr. Jones and Dr. Gerrit,

We are very sorry to know that we lost a promising young fellow in the DSSAT
family. Please send our sincere condolence and sympathy to his family.

Luo Yi

YCES, IGSNRR, CAS, China

On 9/4/06, Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> DSSAT Listserv Members:
>
> Sadly, I am informing all of you that one of our graduate students,
> McNair Bostick, passed away one week ago, on August 28, 2006. Many of
> you knew him personally and others through his work. He and his
> co-workers developed the data sharing component on the ICASA web site.
>
> He also has contributed strongly to the recent development and
> evaluation of DSSAT components, particularly those related to ET,
> soil water balance, and plant phosphorus. I was Chair of his PhD
> Committee. In his PhD research, he developed ways to integrate crop
> and/or soil models with observations to improve estimates of soil
> carbon and changes in soil carbon over time. He and co-workers
> published one paper on this recently and he has completed another one
> that we will submit and publish. He would have completed his PhD
> degree in December of this year, and was considering various options
> for post doc or academic/research positions in the USA and abroad.
> For those of you who
> knew him through his research and through contacts in my lab or at
> ASABE or ASA meetings, you may not know that he was also very active
> in his community, serving as mayor of the student housing facilities.
> The outpouring of love and admiration for him has been very
> impressive, clearly indicating the quality of person he was at work,
> in his family life, and in his social life. His wife (Carmen) and son
> (Luca, 9 months old) will miss him so much, so please keep them in
> your thoughts and prayers. He accomplished a lot during his short
> life, and was truly an emerging star in our research area. During the
> past week, I have also met and interacted with his parents (Welch and
> Sara Jane Bostick, his sister (Julie), and Carmen's parents from
> Spain. They will also miss him so much.
>
> I will always remember McNair and hope that his life and
> accomplishments will serve as models for other graduate students to
> follow. I have included below additional information that was sent
> out to many people and his obituary from the local newspaper. We will
> soon post this information and a picture on the ICASA Web Site.
>
> McNair's family is asking that donations be sent in his memory from
> all who wish to do so. They have chosen two different options, the
> University of Florida Foundation (to honor McNair through our
> department) or to help pay his son's college education. Details are as
> follows:
>
> 1.         The Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department,
> c/o The University of Florida Foundation, Inc., PO Box
> 14425;Gainesville, FL 32604-2425. Please mention the McNair Bostick
> Memorial on your checks to the ABE department/UF Foundation so that
> those funds can be used to commemorate McNair in some way (such as
> scholarship).
>
> 2.         The education fund for his son, Luca, at: Bank of
> America,Private Bank,
> [...]

Dr. Luo Yi, Professor
Ecohydrological Model Development and Integrated Watershed Management

Institute of Geographic Science and Natural Resources Research(IGSNRR)
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)

Datun Road, Anwai, Chaoyang District, 100101, Beijing, China
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
+86-10-64888920 (Tel.)  +86-10-64888920 (Fax)