DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Gijsman, Arjan J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:46:59 -0800
Hi all,

I am not familiar with the rice model in DSSAT, but very familiar with the
soil-organic-matter / soil-N section of CROPGRO and CERES, as we just
developed a new modular version with two different SOM/soil-N modules (the
old one and a new one, which is based on the CENTURY model).

Though DSSAT v3.5 has a leaching and an N balance option, neither of the two
are great and have several code errors. It is hard to judge in how far this
affected your results, but I have experienced myself with a new CROPGRO
version, in which many of these errors were corrected, that the leaching
jumped up quite a bit. This is of no immediate use for you now, but may help
to understand why it goes as it does in the model.

This new DSSAT version is still in development and will probably not be
released before the Fall. In all likelihood, all the models (CROPGRO, CERES,
SUBSTOR, rice...) will have been turned upside down --- with hopefully many
errors fixed.

As Brian already indicated, the SOM dynamics under flooded, anaerobic
conditions may be quite different from a nonflooded soil. As far as I know,
the present rice model uses the same SOM code as the other (dryland) models,
but it could very well be that this does not make any sense at all. I am
therefore in doubt whether we can link the new CENTURY-based SOM module also
to the rice model; for CROPGRO and CERES it is a big improvement, but I
don't want to introduce new  errors in the rice model. In the Agronomy
Journal of May-June, you can read about this new SOM/soil-N module: Gijsman
et al. 2002 Modifying DSSAT Crop Models for Low-Input Agricultural Systems
Using a Soil Organic Matter-Residue Module from CENTURY

Greetings,

Arjan Gijsman
Univ. Florida / Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT), Cali,
Colombia