DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:19:52 -0500
Chris,
    Congratulations on the accomplishment. Please send me reprints once the
papers are published.
    One of the big surprises here in Nebraska is the recent (last two years)
emergence of significant acreage in wheat/soybean relay intercropping. The
winter wheat is used to "clean up" residual soil nitrogen following seed
corn production in the irrigated cropping system.
    Those pursuing the intercrop models should watch carefully to see
whether interplant competition, in the particular system of interest, causes
significant changes in plant development. If so, the standard
thermal-time/daylength models for development will not work as expected.
Properly simulating plant height under the influence of interplant
competition is also a problem that needs to be looked at carefully.

Sincerely,
Bob Caldwell,
  Res. Assoc. Prof., Natural Resource Systems Analyst
  School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
  306 Keim Hall, P.O. Box 830910, Lincoln, NE 68583-0910
[log in to unmask]    Phone: (402) 472-4792. FAX: (402) 472-7904.