DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Roger E. Rivero Vega" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:05:45 -0500
Dear friends and colleagues:

I ask your forgiveness for replying to all of you and in this way crowding
our Mail List.

Radiation balance equation, soil and atmospheric water balance equations,
and energy balance equation, can be combined in a handful of ways to derive
what could be called climatic and bioclimatic indexes. We have done this
around here to study large scale causes of meteorological droughts,
different aspects of meteorological and agricultural droughts, and as a
basis for drought surveillance and early warning systems. This kind of
analysis has also been done here for climate change impact assessments.
Sorry we have none of this in English and no available softwares.

These approaches seem to belong to a somewhat  relegated branch of
meteorology and climatology named Physical Climatology. You may find rather
detailed accounts of this branch of science in works and books made by the
former russian school (Budyko and Riabchikov) and western authors as Sellers
and Geiger.

I don't know of a specific use of these tools in modern biophysical crop
models.

With my very best wishes for all of you,

Roger E. Rivero Vega