DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Sommer, Rolf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:37:56 -0800
 Dear all,

I am trying to model a long-term (12 years) sustainability trial with
continuous cropping of maize, wheat or rotation of maize-wheat and
wheat-maize under different management regimes (zero-till, conventional
till, keep residues, remove residues) maintained here at CIMMYT headquarter
in Mexico.

I know that the current DSSAT 3.5 version can't handle decomposition of
non-incorporated crop residues (left on the soil surface under zero-till).
O.k., that means zero-till cum residues cannot be modeled with this version
- though the upcoming version is advertised to be able to.
But, under conventional tillage practice cum residues, these are
incorporated into the soil at the beginning of each year.
My question: how can I tell the model (sequence analysis) to do so, i.e.
incorporate (and thus consider the amount of residues as FOM) the amount of,
say, maize residues produced in the previous year?
(The RESIDUE group of FILEQ can only handle a fixed amount of residues,
which I guess, are thought to be brought in from outside.)

Thank you for your answers,

Regards,
Rolf Sommer
Natural Resources Program
CIMMYT (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center)
Tel. +52 (55) 5804 2128
Fax +52 (55) 5804 7558/59
www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is a Future Harvest Center of the CGIAR