Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 11:50:26 -0500
Subject:        Where to place the LOC Call Number and URL's in a FGDC record?
Date:   Mon, 21 May 2007 09:49:37 -0400
From:   March, Gregory H <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

I am pulling together the FGDC metadata records for an online collection
of 7.5 minute out-of-print topographic maps and want to know where in
the FGDC record should the LOC call number (G3700 s24 u5) be placed?
There is no specified place in the FGDC record for a call number and we
are mapping the FGDC record to MODS. The FGDC metadata record will be
used as preservation metadata, while the deliverable metadata will be
MODS. When cross walking from 050 field in MARC to FGDC, there seems to
be no place to put the call number.

Also, we have two URL’s links that we want to include in the FGDC and
MODS records. We are offering two ways to find a map. The first is a
“Search” option that uses DLXS bib class, and the second way is a
“Browse” option that utilizes Zoomify and Flash technologies. From the
“Search” option in the DLXS bib class map record, we have a URL link
that will navigate directly to the individual map (which uses Zoomify
and Flash interface). The other URL will be used to download a GEOTIFF
of the selected map. Should both of these URL’s be placed in the “Browse
Graphic” or “Online Linkage” section?

Any suggestions for these two topics would be greatly appreciated!

PS Here is a link to the browse portion of the online map collection
which uses the Zoomify and Flash mentioned above.

http://www.lib.utk.edu/cic/tnmap/index.html

Thank you,

Greg J

Gregory March