DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Roger E. Rivero Vega" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 12:26:50 -0500
Dear all:

I completely agree with Ralph and Gerritt about watt meaning J/s. I add to
this a commentary about my knowledge of the existence of energy units (J is
energy and watt is power) such as kilowatt - hour, but I've never heard of
an energy unit named as watt-s (even if we could easily define it). I wonder
if in the original request of our colleague Camerino the second letter "s"
in Wattss means Watts - s or is simply an additional pluralization of Watts?

And I have one or two additional uncertainties of my own:

If I had my solar radiation reported in watt/m2 (per day!) should I multiply
it by 86 400 seconds in a day and divide by one million to obtain MJ/m2, or
should I multiply by the number of seconds between sunrise and sunset?

And besides:

If I had my solar radiation reported hourly in watt/m2 (That's what I have
in practice in my specialized solar radiation stations) then I should use
some numerical aproximation (let's say Simpson's rule) to the integral of
solar power between sunrise and sunset to obtain global solar radiation in
MJ/m2? I can't just simply multiply by the number of seconds in an hour or
day!

I would advice Camerino to ask his weather station or met service what and
how are they really measuring as global solar radiation which in some cases
is even reported separatedly as direct and diffuse solar radiation.

Sorry for taking some of your time,

Roger