DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Sommer, Rolf (ICARDA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:39:16 +0000
Hello all,

bulk density, how to measure it and what data to enter into the model may become a complicated issue when smaller stones / gravel are abundant in the soil.

First of all, it may be tricky if not impossible to get a reasonable value of BD by undisturbed 100cm3 core sampling.

But, as BD also related directly to porosity and (water-filled) pore space, other soil parameters, such as field capacity or permanent wilting point, are automatically affected and should be modified accordingly. Otherwise, water and nutrient movement in the soil will not be simulated correctly.

Then, how about soil moisture readings by e.g. small capacitance or TDR probes? How many of such readings do you need to get a representative water content of a stony soil? I guess quite a few.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Rolf