DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Barry Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:18:33 -0500
Jon and Cheryl provided a good description of how to move from Compaq
Fortran to Visual Studio 2005 with Intel Fortran.  This should help many
avoid the pain of the move, except for the pain of actually paying for the
new software.

To help ease the pain, I want to report that there are benefits to the move.
Intel Fortran with Visual Studio does a better job of detecting errors, such
as error bounds, and allowing you to step through the debugger and view
values.  I caught a number of lingering errors in the various Fortran models
that I use when I made the switch.

For debugging, I turn on the following diagnostics: "warn for undeclared
symbols", "warn for unused variables", and "warn when truncating source
code".  I turn on all of the run-time checks.  For both debug and release, I
also change the Floating-Point Exception Handling from "Produce NaN, signed
infinites, ..." to "Underflow give 0.0; Abort on other ...".  This causes
the model to crash where the error happens rather than crashing later away
from the real problem.

I also recommend using Microsoft Visual Source Safe with Visual Studio.  It
helps with group development and is also helpful in letting you keep track
and undo changes.

For those of you on the bleeding edge of technology, Intel Fortran does not
currently work with Visual Studio 2008.

Happy Holidays!

Barry

Barry Jacobson, Ph.D., P.E.
Vice President
Soil & Water Engineering Technology, Inc.
3448 NW 12th Ave.
Gainesville, FL 32605
www.swet.com
352-378-7372 (voice)