DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Brian Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:34:50 -0500
Elena --

Without seeing your experiment file it is a bit difficult to make any
concrete suggestions.  However that will not stop me from throwing out a
few ideas:

1) You said, "by setting up the harvest date to two years after planting
should allow for 1+ years of fallow."  I don't think that it is a great
idea to let the wheat model run for the extra fallow year.  At the very
least the incorporation of the wheat residue will be delayed for over a year.

2) Have you tried adding an extra fallow period in?  So instead of a
wheat-fallow rotation you put in a wheat-fallow-fallow rotation.  If there
is really some problem with the way the sequence handles the dates it might
"trick" DSSAT into doing what you want to do.

3) Have you used 5-digit (year and day of year) or 3-digit (day of year
only) numbers for planting and harvest dates?  If you are using 3-digits
dates try changing them to the 5 digit dates for the first two years of
your sequence.  The program should automatically move them forward for the
following years.

-- Brian

At 08:29 PM 3/6/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear DSSAT list members,
>
>I am having difficulty setting up wheat (either spring or winter) fallow
>runs in DSSAT. I think the version I have is 3.1. I need to set up the
>runs for 25 years such that the crop is only planted every other year
>with fallow in between. I have tried doing so using the sequence mode.
>When I looked at the manual (volume3 discusses the sequence run setup),
>the example setup was such that the crop was planted every year with
>fallow in between. It was also mentioned that by setting up the harvest
>date to two years after planting should allow for 1+ years of fallow. It
>did not work in my case, however. The crop was still planted every year;
>the way I set up the year in the harvesting section was ignored such
>that I ended up with continuously planted crop. Any ideas on what may be
>going on? Thanks a lot in advance!
>

>elena
>

>--
>Elena Tsvetsinskaya
>NCAR/ESIG
>P.O. Box 3000
>Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000
>Tel: (303)497-8131
>Fax: (303)497-8125

Brian Baer                           [log in to unmask]
CSS Dept, Michigan State Univeristy  (517) 353-8537 (voice)
574 Plant and Soil Science Building  (517) 353-8538 (fax)
East Lansing, MI  48824-1325         http://nowlin.css.msu.edu