SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:00:36 -0400
Interest in molt is currently at an all-time high. On Thursday, July 28, we
observed an adult Short-billed Dowitcher of the subspecies hendersoni in
the early stages of definitive prebasic body molt. We previously have not
seen obvious body molt in southbound adult Short-billed Dowitchers in
southern Ontario. It was not in wing molt. Jean photographed it at Rock
Point Provincial Park on Lake Erie west of Fort Erie ON and Buffalo NY.

Photos of molting hendersoni
http://jeaniron.ca/Shorebirds/2005/Moltingadulthendersoni.htm

We've posted to both ID-Frontiers and Shorebirds because of overlapping
interest.

Jean Iron & Ron Pittaway
Toronto & Minden ON