AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:46:10 -0500

Don't miss this opportunity to travel and learn about the hispanic culture
and agriculture industry.
This summer's staff development includes a workshop entitled "Connecting
Cultures" for 6 plu

Location: University of Georgia Ecolodge San Luis & Research Station, Costa
Rica
others will enable the participants to explore in depth the agriculture
products and practices of another country while being introduced to their
components of culture, life style, and language. Lecture, hands-on field
work, group and independent research projects, discussion, seminars,
research reports, journal writing, visits to museums, research institutes,
farms, fishing cooperatives and national parks along with Spanish cultural
workshops will be included in this workshop.

The staff development will be from June 27th - July 5th
Below is a schedule of the planned activities.
Cost will be $1600.00 a package price that includes flight, meals and
lodging.
Several schools systems have agreed to pay the total price for the teacher.
Check with your schools to see what they will reimburse you for:  if they
approve you the daily room and food allowance that would cover $780.00 of
this, plus most schools will give you a travel allotment.  Remember the
other $ you pay can be used on your taxes since this is work.  The days of
this trip will count on your extended year contract.

If you plan to go, we need a deposit of $800.00 by Feburary 27th.

Everyone needs a passport, if you don't have one you should go get it soon,
they can take up to 3 months to obtain.

>  Costa Rica Tailor Made Tour for Ga. Agriculture Teachers
>  8 days in July 2005
>  Focus: Hispanic / Indigenous cultures and neotropical agriculture.
>  *We will also be visiting middle and high schools, touring banana and
pineapple plantations along with working with Dr. Sherry Coy with culture
diversity and spanish lessons.

>  Day 1. San Jose
>  Atlanta departure, arrival in San Jose, transfer and overnight in a
>  comfortable and charming hotel of San Jose.
>
>  Day 2. Poas National Park - Monteverde
>  Exploration of Poas National Park; encounter with an active volcano
which
>  has the world's second largest crater surrounded by a cloud forest
>  abounding with this life so particular to Costa Rica : hummingbirds,
>  bromides, lichens, butterflies... Lunch on the Volcano slopes on our way
>  back and guided visit of a coffee plantation. Explanation of the coffee
>  growing process and its social and political context in Costa Rica.
Drive
>  towards Monteverde in the afternoon (4hrs drive). Tonight we will be
>  staying in a friendly family run inn in Santa Elena, Monteverde (great
>  cook and warm family atmosphere!).
>

>  Day 3. Monteverde Cloud Forest
>  Exploration of Santa Elena's Biological Reserve in the Monteverde Cloud
>  Forest. Guided hike on the trails accompanied by a naturalist (tropical
>  biologist). Contoured by the Tilaran mountains this reserve is spread on
>  eight ecological zones, it shelters over 100 mammal, 400 bird and 1500
>  plant species. Visit to a local dairy farm and the local cheese factory,
>  visit the installations and witness the local process from the cow in
the
>  field to the cheese in the small local shop. In the afternoon, we will
>  also experience the famous Sky Trek, a network of understory trails and
>  platforms reaching high above the ground. Zip lines of steel cables
>  attached from one platform to another allow you to slide through the
>  forest canopy - it's fun and unforgettable! Night in Santa Elena.
>

>  Day 4. Arenal Volcano
>  Horseback expedition leaving the Monteverde area heading for the Arenal
>  Volcano (4hrs horseback riding). This very unique experience takes us
>  through the natural splendours of the Arenal-Monteverde zone and ends at
>  the south shore of Lake Arenal which we will cross by boat towards the
>  volcano (this unforgettable adventure is optional and costs 50us$ /
>pers).
>  It's also possible to travel on board the vehicle through magnificent
>  landscapes around the lake. Today, along the way horseback riding (easy
>  and safe ride at a slow pace), you will see a few farms and ranches
where
>  your guide can stop on demand and improvise a visit, the locals are very
>  friendly and welcoming. Night in a comfortable Inn at the feet of the
>  Arenal Volcano.
>

>  Day 5. Selva Verde
>  Early birding and wildlife watching tour on the volcano slopes.
Breakfast