AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Justin Sealy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Sealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:43:50 +0000
Here is a list of teams that have reg. for the Wildlife Management Contest
on Dec. 1 at Tift County High School:

   Pierce County, Ringold, Houston County High, Monroe Area, Pelham High,
Lowndes County, Early County, Irwin Middle, Bleckley County, Cairo High,
Tift County, Baconton Charter, Appling County Middle, Oconne County,
Northside High, Cook Middle, Cook High, Echols County, Worth County,
Atkinson County, Calhoun County and Miller County.

If your school is on the list but you are not able to attend please contact
me. Also, teams are still able to reg. by November 29th.

I've had a few questions that I wanted to address for the contest.

1. There are four people to a team: the entire team takes hunter safety
tests, then individuals compete in one practicum area. Therefore, 1 person
does whitetail deer management, 1 person does extemp. speaking, etc.

2. After much debate, an identification list will be provided to senior and
junior teams for the Wildlife ID portion. There are approximately 160 items
on the list.

3. Students need to be prepared for adverse weather conditions.

4. A student will be presented with the six general topics given in the
rules for Extemp. Speaking. They will have the opportunity to flip over
three cards and then chose one topic. They will have the opportunity to use
one resource item to prepare their speech. Time deductions after three
minutes will result in -.5 points for every second over three minutes. -.5
points per second will be deducted for time under the one minute mark.

5. The ocular antler scoring will be based on the gross Boone & Crocket
score. Only the gross score will be used, no deductions will be used when
calculating the antlers.

Here are a list of resources I like to use to identify some of the contest
materials:

http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/teeth.htm
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tools/deerteth/ages.htm
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/deer/aging/
http://www.luckybuck.org/index8824.html
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/ay/weedsci/weedid/page2.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=plant_profile.cgi&symbol=PANO2

I hope this information helps and please contact me if you have further
questions.

W. Justin Sealy
Area Forestry Teacher
South Region Department of Agriculture Education
South Region FFA Alumni Coordinator
GVATA Executive Secretary
229.328.8263