AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
John Allen Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:53:49 -0400
As the time nears for the State Forestry CDE, I would like to give you a
heads up on what to expect this year for the team activity.  We, the
Forestry Team, are trying to make the team activity more or a true TEAM
CONCEPT rather than just a written test.  This will be more in line with
the National FFA Forestry CDE.  The 4 students that participate in the team
activity will need to bring a clinometer, d-tape, logger's tape, prism,
bearing compass, calculator, and a clipboard.  We are planning on setting
up 6 stations that the students will rotate through.  The students will be
asked to perform several tasks dealing with the 10 forestry events in a
Forestry cde as well as chainsaw maintenance, wood identification, hazards
of the forest, and forestry equipment identification at the stations.  The
students will work together as a team to complete these tasks and it is not
mandatory for each student to complete each task.  I would strongly suggest
that each member of the team be very familiar with all aspects of the 10
events in a forestry cde along with the current Forestry Lessons listed
under Unit 1.  Please also note that the 4 students you choose for the team
activity cannot have already won a state cde that moves on to national
competition except for Land Judging.

If you have any suggestions for changes to the Forestry, Environmental
Natural Resources, or Junior Natural Resources cdes please put them in
writing and get them to me or the State Agricultural Education Office.
There is a form on the web to use for this entitled "Proposal for Changes
to CDE and Leadership Activities."  I need these by May 1, 2006.

Thank you for all you do to help promote forestry and natural resources
education in Georgia.   If you have any questions concerning this, please
feel free to contact me.

John Allen Bailey
Central Region
Area Forest Resource Teacher