AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
James Woodard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:19:58 -0400
FYI

James R. Woodard
State Director, Agriculture Education
Georgia Department of Education
1758 Twin Towers East
Atlanta, Ga. 30334
Phone: 404-657-8312
Fax: 404-656-5911
email: [log in to unmask]
----- Forwarded by James Woodard/CI/DOE/GADOE on 04/09/2003 10:20 AM -----

                      Sent by:                 To:       [log in to unmask]
                      owner-usaged-l@pu        cc:
                      rdue.edu                 Subject:  Pfc. Jessica Lynch FFA Background

                      04/07/2003 11:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      BStagg

Just as others across the nation are doing, all of us at the National FFA
Organization are celebrating the rescue of Pfc. Jessica Lynch, a former FFA
member from West Virginia. We are proud of her. We admire her courage in
the face of overwhelming adversity. We rejoice with her family and friends
and wish her a speedy and full recovery.

At the same time, our hearts break when we think of all of the other
families who are still waiting, praying and hoping to hear similar news.

Jessica hails from a small, tight-knit community in West Virginia. Her
county has a population of 5,500 people. The local FFA advisor, Ben
Cummings, had both Jessica and her brother, Greg, in his agricultural
mechanics courses. Jessica, a two-year FFA member, participated in her
junior and senior years. Involved heavily on the local level, she helped
plan chapter banquets, worked in the chapter's greenhouse and completed
paperwork for the national chapter award application (Wirt County High
School was recognized as a two-star National Chapter Award winner in 1999,
2000 and 2001). In addition, she showed livestock and participated in
sports. Her brother, Greg, was a four-year member who served as chapter
treasurer his senior year. He also participated in numerous CDEs, including
parliamentary procedure, agricultural mechanics and livestock evaluation.
Both enlisted in the Army upon graduation.

Jessica and Greg are just two of the thousands of former FFA members
serving in the Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines and Army. FFA salutes
the courageous men and women of the United States armed forces. Their
selfless acts of bravery are ensuring our freedom and that of millions
around the world. We support them. We honor them. We pray for their safe
and speedy return while reflecting on the sacrifices they are making.

We are encouraging FFA chapters across the country to support our troops
and have developed a webpage outlining ideas, suggestions and resources to
help make that possible. In addition, we have included a brief story about
Jessica's rescue. Visit
http://www.ffa.org/chapters/html/supportourtroops.html to view this new
page.

Undoubtedly, many will want to send Jessica notes, cards of encouragement,
gifts, etc. Once an address is announced to which these can be mailed, we
will post it online as soon as possible. In addition, we will update the
site as more details and information becomes available.

Best regards,

Bill Stagg
Team Leader
Marketing & Communication Services