AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mike Dodson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:28:59 -0400
DearTeachers, This is a short overview of what we are trying to get
accomplished at the summer Livestock Evaluation (Judging) Certification
Program.We initially recognized  a  need to generate a larger  group of
trained individuals, to serve as base group to select  livestock show
judges from. To accomplish this , we need to have
more Ag Teachers trained and committed to undertake  this responsibility.
The Clinic will cover three species.
Swine , Beef Cattle, and Sheep. Mr Dan Hoge from  Blackhawk East Jr.
College has agreed to serve as the lead instructor for this Clinic.
Initially Billy  M and I tried to procure Mr. Hoge for this clinic and
while he was in Perry get him to judge the Jr. Beef Futurity. Unfortunately
this has not been possible , Mr. Hoge has to be back on Thursday night. The
hands on and classroom portion of this clinic will take place in the New
South Arena at the Ga. National Fairgrounds on Monday July 14, Tuesday 15,
and Weds. 16. at this point teachers will be released to get cattle back to
the fairgrounds( teachers not involved with the futurity will be finished)
for the start of the Jr. Beef Futurity.  Those teachers with involvement
in the Futurity will have an opportunity to observe this( new)  judge  and
perhaps get some ideas in talking Beef classes. We wanted all this to
happen under Dan Hoge , but problems with his schedule have made this
impossible.
Lastly, this clinic is designed to be a continuing  educational project. It
is not designed to get everyone attending , certified in the three
different species in 3 days in July. We all know this is impossible for
most. For those that have never been involved with much livestock, we want
to start you with a good base.For the more experienced , You may be
certified  in all three species. We will make this a follow up  training
,where ,you may send in video footage of yourself judging a show and a
committee evaluates your decision making process.The sky is the limit with
this type of training.  Please call or email me if I can answer other
questions. Thanks Mike D