AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
James Woodard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 16:00:11 -0400

I hope by now you have recovered from the State FFA Convention and the many
other activities you have going on locally.  I also, hope that you had a
chance to visit with Ms. Kristy Ketcham, Director for Birdies for Charity
-John Deere Classic  at the State FFA Convention.  I agreed for Georgia to
co-pilot this fund-raiser with the John Deere Classic Golf Tournament.

John Deere conducts a charity golf tournament in July in Illinois.  The
John Deere Classic - Birdies for Charity allows local organizations to
participate and raise funds for local charities.  Please check out the
number of local charities and details at http://www.birdiesforcharity.com.
This year they are allowing four state FFA associations to pilot an
opportunity through local FFA chapters to assist in raising funds for local
activities.  The prize for the three chapters who raises the most money is
a $1500 computer system or $1500 toward the Washington Leadership
Conference Program.

One concept that I have been pushing for in Georgia is the idea of building
a stronger bridge between the Georgia FFA Foundation and local FFA
chapters.  Though we have made some effort in this area, greater strides
are still needed.  I hope you will see the potential for this activity to
assist in this endeavor.

I am encouraging each of the chapters in Georgia to consider this
fund-raising possibility.  Please visit with your local John Deere Dealer
and share the information with them. They will also be receiving
information from their corporate office.  This creates a great partnership
with local farmers and business to promote worthwhile local activities,
while supporting the Georgia FFA Foundation.

The program works very simple.  Your FFA members and participating John
Deere Dealers will solicit pledges for the number of birdies shot at the
John Deere Classic to be held July 5-11, 2004.  The typical range for the
tournament is 1600 - 2000 birdies.  Therefore, encouragement of a 1 cent
pledge would amount to a contribution of $16 to $20.  The pledges are sent
to John Deere Classic.  Once the tournament is over, the number of birdies
are calculated.  John Deere Classic then creates invoices for the people
who made pledges.  Once the contributions have been received, John Deere
Classic will cut a check for each FFA Chapter.  The local chapter will get
80% of the proceeds and the Georgia FFA Foundation will receive 20%.  The
amount contributed to the Georgia FFA Foundation will go toward your
chapter's chapter challenge contribution.

You are by no means obligated to participate.  However, since Georgia is a
pilot state, I hope you will participate in order that we can give
constructive feedback to better the program for your benefit in future
years.  Please email me at [log in to unmask] or call me at
404-657-8311 to inform me of your intent to participate.   Attached you
will find a chapter enrollment form.  Please complete the form and e-mail
back to me no later than May 14th.

(See attached file: Instructions.doc)(See attached file:
FFATroubleshootingHandout.doc)(See attached file:
FFABirdEnrollmentForm.pdf)

Please call me if you have any questions.

James
James R. Woodard
State Director, Agriculture Education
Georgia Department of Education