From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:29:03 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum Maps" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:15:22 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Gousha oddity - help identify

Hi, Pat -

By a process of elimination, here's what I've arrived at:

a.  It's probably not a "distribution or collection" facility map of any
sort.  The locations are too scattered for that if they're related to
things like water treatment (which wasn't so big back then), electricity
generation (which wasn't very distributed back then), etc. and not
particularly related to where large populations are located.
b.  It's probably not something like a mine or gravel pit map because
the distribution of the dots aren't like we'd expect for those kinds of
things
c.  It's probably something related to farming in some way, I'm thinking
something like a product distributed by some vendor/manufacturer because
of the use of the term "territorial" in the cartouche.  At first, I
thought maybe something like use of irrigation, but that wasn't so big
back in the 1930s either.
d.  The interesting thing is that there are lots and lots of circles,
relatively few squares, and only one "homeplate" symbol on this corner
of the map.

So, my conclusion is that some variation on item c is the possibility.
Given that you folks are in Chicago, could it have been from a company
based in Chicago with a staffer who thought, "Well, gee whiz, why don't
we just give one of these to The Library because they might want to keep
stuff like this?"  The question is what are the three different things.
Is it possible they are three different products of that company?  It
doesn't seem like the "homeplate" stuff is very "popular", if that's the
appropriate term.

And, the numbers don't seem to be related to location or the type of
symbol.  Looking along the top, 37, 75, 80, 108, 111, 114 would
constitute a mixed bag in terms of the symbols, so maybe the numbers
represent some kind of alphabetical order or other order.

That's what I've arrived at so far.

So, PLEASE let us know when you find out what it is, okay?  Inquiring
minds want to know.  ;~)

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
 Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif