AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ben Lastly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Lastly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 09:55:01 -0400
Teachers,

If you and/or your students are planning to attend the Washington
Leadership Conference, now is the time to start planning for the
Congressional visits. One day during the conference, students are
taken to Capitol Hill and allowed time to visit their Representative
and/or Senators.

These visits should be set up before hand so that the Legislators
can be expecting the students. Usually, a letter from the students
and/or FFA advisor is a great way to initiate contact with your
Legislator. The past few years, we have had good fortune with
Georgia Legislators taking time to visit with our students. By
making contact now, your students stand a better chance of
securing a time to visit with their Representative and/or Senator.

Based on the information that I have received from National FFA,
the time of the Congressional visits during our week at WLC, will
be from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, June 24. Please use
that information when contacting your Legislator's office to set-up a
visit. In your correspondence, don't forget to mention that the
student is part of the WLC Conference. Impress upon the
Legislator(s) the level of accomplishment that these student
leaders have accomplished, and the FFA's role in developing that
leadership.

It is important that you stay within the time frame allotted by the
WLC schedule for visits. Students will have a variety of activities at
a variety of different locations during the week, so scheduling is a
Congressional visit during any time other than that Thursday
morning will cause the students to miss other opportunities.

If you have any questions about contacting your Legislator, or
about setting up visits, please let me know. If you think that this is
something your students are interested in, please do not wait too
long to make the necessary arrangements. Thanks. - Ben

Ben Lastly
Leadership Program Manager
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science, UGA