SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:36:19 -0700

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: David Hartgrove <[log in to unmask]>
To: Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>; Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 1:56:25 AM
Subject: Fwd: Red Knot Winter Survey — we need your help

Hi,
   I didn't see you guys copied on this so I thought I'd forward it
along just in case.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Amanda Dey" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: October 25, 2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
> To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Red Knot Winter Survey — we need your help
>
> Dear All,   As with many of you we have continued trapping for
> shorebirds as part of Avian Flu work through the fall.  Yesterday a
> team led by Larry Niles made a late of catch of 58 migrating red
> knots.  It was an interesting catch with 14 juveniles, four
> recaptures, one caught by us in Florida earlier this year.
>
> I'm writing because Larry and I would very much like to know what
> becomes of these birds as they continue down the Atlantic Coast.   We
> banded each bird with a unique alpha numeric flag on the upper left
> leg and a lime band on the upper right leg.  Attached is a excel file
> with all the combinations.
>
> We ask that you make a special effort to scan red knot flocks in your
> area over the next two months.   Last year we caught knots in NJ until
> November so we would expect that the knots we just banded may be
> moving to wintering sites at least until then.  We will continue
> trapping though November but our chances of knots will become
> increasingly uncertain.
>
> Please report any sightings to Bill Pitts of my office
> [log in to unmask] . He will keep a spreadsheet and map of
> all sightings and post them on the internet.    This is an
> extraordinary opportunity for us to learn something about fall
> stopover and wintering habitat that could you useful to all of us.
> Thanks
>
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Amanda Dey, Ph.D., Senior Biologist
> Endangered and Nongame Species Program
> New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife
> Assunpink Wildlife Management Area
> 1 Eldridge Road (Upper Freehold Twp.)
> Robbinsville, NJ  08691
>
> 1-609-259-6967
> 1-609-259-8155 Fax
>
> www.njfishandwildlife.com
>
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

David Hartgrove
Conservation Chair,
Halifax River Audubon

Hi,

  I didn't see you guys copied on this so I thought I'd forward it
along just in case.

Begin forwarded message:

</color></bold>"Amanda Dey" <<[log in to unmask]>

25, 2006 4:47:19 PM EDT

</color></bold><<[log in to unmask]>, <<[log in to unmask]>

Winter Survey — we need your help

</bold>

[...]

</excerpt>David Hartgrove

Conservation Chair,