DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Abraham Singels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 08:28:36 +0200
Hi DSSAT list members
It might be worth mentioning that sugarcane yield decline has been
recognized as a real phenomenon in Australia and to a lesser extent
South Africa (that I am aware of) and that considerable resources have
been allocated to determine the causes and identify remedies.
Abraham Singels
SASEX
South Africa

>>> [log in to unmask] 09 May 2002 04:45:19 >>>
Dear Roger

I have some experience of modelling yields of major
crops in India (sub-tropical & Tropical) using trend
and statistical methods.

The yields trends of two major viz. Wheat & Rice over
last 30 years have shown a very significant rising
trend at NAtional, State and District levels.

This trend is showing plateau in crop regions which
are technologically advance in last 7-10 years. Rather
there are reports of stagnation of yields and in some
cases (e.g. Wheat in Ludhiana Punjab)showing a falling
trend.
But in regions of India where techological saturation
has not yet reached (esp. low latitudes and rainfed)
the yields are showing a definitive rising trend since
last 15-20 years. In many a cases this rise is even
exponential.

Your contention may be right that the climate chnage
and environmnetal degradation may be reversing the
technology trend but our observation is that the
improvement in techology is masking the negative
impacts of climate change and ecosystem degradation.

Dr V.K. Sehgal
Crop Inventory & Modelling Division
Space Applications Centre (ISRO)
Ambawadi Vistar P.O.