SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jack Daynes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Daynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:53:06 -0800
Norman D.van Swelm wrote:

> Congratulations Jack! BTW I stumbled upon your pictures of a juvenile
> Semipalmated Plover. Could it not be a Ringed Plover Charadrius
> hiaticula rather than a Semipalmated?
> All the best, Norman

Thanks Norman,

The Semipalmated is common here. The Ringed is
not. I did a quick search on Common Ringed Plover
and found:

=================================
     Habitat: Found in tundra habitats, sandy
areas, cultivated fields, or areas with short
grass near water; also frequents mudflats,
beaches, and shorelines of lakes, ponds, and
rivers (A.O.U. 1998).

Africa. In North America, it is a local breeder in
western Alaska and the Arctic islands. It also
breeds in Greenland. Does not winter in North
America (A.O.U. 1998).

     Field Marks: Compare closely with
Semipalmated Plover; breast band is often broader
in the center of the chest than on Semipalmated
Plover, and white eyebrow tends to be more
conspicuous. However, whenever possible, it may be
best to use voice to separate these two species.

     Nest Habits: Nests on the ground; nest is a
simple scrape or depression which is sometimes
lined with bits of shells, small stones, or other
materials.

     Eggs: 3-4, usually 4; buffy in color, with
black or brown markings.

     Incubation: Both sexes incubate the eggs and
care for the young. Incubation lasts approximately
23 days; young are capable of flight when they are
about 24 days old.

Note that my bird has a thinning on the band about
the middle. I could be mistaken, but I think its
the Semipalm. Its a nice thought though, as a CRP
would be special here abouts.

--
-- Jack --